Monday, November 21, 2011

Ridge Runnin' 2011

I have been wanting to hunt grouse for a couple of years now and finally got up the nerve to give it a shot.  I didn't know exactly where I was going or what I was doing but I had asked enough questions and done enough research that I thought I had a chance at a bird.  I had been hunting woodcock and quail for the last few weekends and had pretty good legs under me but man getting up the ridgeline to these birds was not easy.  My sister went with me and she doesn't hunt at all.  I was very suprised that she made it up the ridgeline and still had the energy to hunt for a bit.  We only got to hunt for a couple of hours as most of our time was spent just finding the area we wanted to hunt.  We saw some scat and heard some drumming but no bird.  I am hoping to go back one more time before the season is over.

An old logging road:


I made it to a good spot to start hunting:


My sister makes it up:



A fun first day of grouse hunting...The views were fantastic, even if we didn't get a bird.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Dwayne,
    Reminds me of the old adage...the worst day of fishing is still better than the best day at work...or something like that. Spending the day taking in the views and spending time with your sister I'm sure was worth all the effort spent.
    Way to go.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ron, yes it was a lot of fun. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    My name is John and I have a quick question about your blog! Could you please email me?

    Thank you,

    John

    ReplyDelete